Take the Trip of a LifeTime with Vitora from…
Sydney to the Bowral in the Southern Highlands
Ever felt that life is so busy you aren’t getting the chance to enjoy enough fun things and keep longing for that elusive “trip of a life time” that everyone goes on about?
At Vitora, making the most of the small things in life is one of our mottos, and we believe “that trip” doesn’t have to be an overseas adventure — you can have one right here, a few hours from home and without the expense! We’ve put together a few suggestions (no more than a couple of hours drive) to give you some inspiration and a little nudge to get those tyres moving (remember to pump them up first!) and out onto the open road.
Where are we going?
Our first Vitora Trip of a LifeTime takes us from the hustle and bustle of Sydney out to the peaceful and colourful Southern Highlands countryside, with Bowral as the destination. Take the M5 and Hume Motorway, and then follow the signs.
Tell me a bit about Bowral?
Bowral, at the foot of Mount Gibraltar, is the largest town in the Southern Highlands, while other towns such as Mittagong, Berrima, and Moss Vale are all in close proximity, so there is plenty to explore. The rolling hills and landscape change colour with the time of year, but one of the sure things about it is that it’s always a picture-perfect place to be.
How far is it and how long will it take?
Depending on the traffic (and how fast you are going of course, and whether you stop along the way) this trip is about 120km if you go direct from Sydney, so can easily be done in two hours or less. However, we’d highly recommend you take your time to smell the roses (literally!) — there are some beautiful gardens in this part of the world that are open to visitors.
What do I need to pack?
As this is an easy day trip, you can travel light. There are plenty of wonderful pubs, coffee shops and country restaurants in the area which pride themselves in showcasing local produce, but if you’d prefer to DIY, don’t forget your eskie with picnic or BBQ refreshments! There are some lovely spots where you can stop and set up for the day, chill out and enjoy the stunning Southern Highlands scenery and surroundings.
What is there to do when I get there?
The Southern Highlands has something for everyone. Here are a few highlights we’ve picked that you may like to incorporate into your visit:
- Corbett Gardens in the town’s centre is one of the region’s oldest parks. A great place to take a walk at any time of year, it is a centre piece of the Tulip Festival held in September.
- If cricket is your thing, the Bradman Museum is a must! Bearing the name of famous cricketer, Sir Donald Bradman who grew up in Bowral, this state-of-the-art museum showcases cricket through the eras.
- There are several art galleries including The Milk Factory Gallery and Exhibition Space — the perfect stop for art lovers wanting to see some great local art, sculptures and pottery.
- Take a look at the scenic views over Bowral from the Bowral Look-out, which also offers peaceful picnic spots and walking trails.
- Enjoy a bush walk, view from a scenic look-out or picnic in the Mt Gibraltar Reserve (towards Mittagong from Bowral, off Oxley Drive).
- A 10-minute drive from Bowral, Lake Alexandra Reserve, offers a tranquil lakeside stop for a BBQ complete with children’s playground.
- Visit a vineyard or cellar door for some wine tasting. There is an abundance of vineyards and wineries in the area renowned for their cool climate wines. Centennial Vineyards, just five minutes out of Bowral offers a cellar door, as well as restaurant on site with breathtaking views over the vineyard.
- Take a stroll through one of the magnificent “Open Gardens” such as the Red Cow or Perennial Hill to perhaps inspire your own gardening efforts!
- If you do decide to make a weekend of the experience – you won’t be disappointed. Bowral, Mittagong, Mossvale and the surrounds have numerous B&Bs, hotels and other accommodation options, many of which will enable you to make the most of area’s views, scenery and heritage.
Anything else I need to know?
The direct motorway from Sydney to Bowral is a toll road, so you may like to bear this in mind. And don’t forget to give your vehicle a good once over before you leave!
Other than that, it’s now over to you. The team at Vitora would like to wish you a safe journey and also hope this one gets you thinking about getting out-and-about and enjoying where your vehicle and those Vitora tyres can take you next!